12-Yr-Old Kozhikode Boy Found Positive, 3rd Case In Kerala

12-Yr-Outdated Kozhikode Boy Discovered Optimistic, third Case In Kerala

The Kerala Well being Division has requested individuals to train warning in opposition to amoebic meningoencephalitis and keep away from bathing in swimming pools of stagnant water, which is the place the ‘brain-eating amoeba’ reside.

'Brain-Eating Amoeba': 12-Yr-Old Kozhikode Boy Found Positive, 3rd Case In Kerala
Representational Picture

A 12-year-old boy from Kozhikode has been examined optimistic for amoebic meningoencephalitis, a uncommon mind an infection attributable to a ‘brain-eating amoeba’ which is present in contaminated waters. That is the third case to emerge in Kerala since Could this 12 months, days after a 13-year-old woman died from the deadly an infection in Kannur.

In line with docs on the Child Memorial Hospital the place the boy is being handled, the 12-year-old had bathed in a pond close to his home the place he seemingly obtained contaminated by the free-living amoeba which is understood to reside in contaminated water our bodies.

A senior physician concerned within the boy’s therapy stated the an infection was recognized and the therapy commenced on the identical day.

“We recognized the an infection in assessments completed at our labs and knowledgeable the DMO who took preventive measures by closing down entry to the pond the place the kid had bathed,” the physician stated.

Medical doctors stated the boy’s samples despatched for testing to a lab in Puducherry from the place the printed PCR report is awaited formally confirming the an infection, including that the boy stays in a vital situation because the an infection has a mortality charge 95-100%.

Nevertheless, they stated that though it’s a uncommon illness, there are protocols in place to cope with such circumstances and therapy is began instantly as soon as identified.

That is the third case of the close to deadly an infection reported from the southern state since Could this 12 months.

A five-year-old woman from Malappuram was the primary sufferer of the uncommon illness and died on Could 21. A month later, a 13-year-old from Kannur additionally fell prey to the lethal an infection and died on June 25.

Medical consultants say the an infection is prompted when free-living, non-parasitic amoebae micro organism enter the physique via the nostril from contaminated water.

On Thursday, the Kerala Well being Division requested individuals to train warning in opposition to amoebic meningoencephalitis and keep away from bathing in swimming pools of stagnant water, which is the place the amoebae reside.

“Bathing in stagnant water and diving in water must be prevented as a lot as doable as this illness has been reported in Kerala. Water in theme parks and swimming swimming pools must be correctly chlorinated to make sure that it’s clear,” it had stated.

The illness was earlier reported in coastal Alappuzha district within the state in 2023 and 2017.

The primary signs of the illness are fever, headache, vomiting, and seizures.




Sharing Is Caring!

Iftekhar

Meet Iftekhar, our dedicated reporter specializing in daily health news. With a passion for promoting well-being and a commitment to keeping you informed, Iftekhar brings you the latest developments in the realm of health and wellness.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *